BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Boa Constrictor

Boa Constrictor Care Tips  

Common name: Boa Constrictor

Homeland: Bolivia, Brazil, Columbia, Central America. Peru, Trinidad, Tobago and Venezuela depending on the type of boa.

Size: can reach up to 14 feet

Lifespan: 25-30 years

About the Boa

Not every Boa is a red tail boa. Yes, there are many different boas just like there are different kinds of elephants. Ever see the ears on an Indian elephant in comparison to an African elephant? If you don’t know what to look for it is easy to confuse them. Also, most pet shops don’t make it much better calling every boa they have a red tail boa. So first, I will give you some of the differences between the most common kept boas and then discuss how I care for them since there care is similar. Other boas such as my Dumerils and Rainbow boas will have their own carepages.


"Boa Constrictor Constrictor”
If there ever was such a thing as a true Red-Tail Boa this was it. If you look at the tail pattern or “saddles” (usually less than 22 altogether) they look somewhat red compared to the saddles higher up on the boa. This often fades as they grow. They usually have an awesome shape like a bat!

I have never seen one bigger than 8 feet but I read that the female Boa Constrictor Constrictor can reach 12 feet and 60 pounds with the males around 8.  

“Boa Constrictor Imperator”
This snake is mistakenly referred to as the Red-Tail Boa, heck, every Boa I hold at shows people call a Red-Tail Boa, even my pythons! Boa Constrictor Imperators are from Columbia and parts of Central America. The females will grow quickly to about 9 feet and the males get to be around 7 feet and about 30 pounds. They usually have more saddles than the boa constrictor constrictor.

Argentine Boa Constrictor
These guys are much darker in color. Usually dark brown if not black. Some have really defined pattern broken with almost white lines and this can be so beautiful.

They are much more active at climbing than the other two I have mentioned. From what I know these tend to grow the largest. 10 feet is not unusual if cared for properly. Mine is almost 9 feet now.

Now on to how I care for them…

Temperament
Before you take on a boa (I hope you are adopting one in need and not buying one) be sure your dedicated to caring for the animal. Large Boas can live to 30 years. That means 30 years of cleaning poop, feeding, watering and more. It's like having a child that will always need your care so don’t start if your not in it for the long haul. “Boa Constrictor Imperators” may be more popular than “Boa Constrictor Constrictor” because they have a reputation for being a bit tamer. I cannot confirm as to one being more aggressive than the other but every one of my boas were rescues and often come to me very ill and quite aggressive. The good news is given proper caging, heat, humidity, treated with care and proper diet they are all tame pets doing shows with me.

Cages
If your boa can reach a size of 12 feet how big do you think your cage should be? This is such an important decision to make before you get the snake. Do you have the space for such a large snake? If yes then I would suggest you give it as much space as you can. A 12-foot snake would use a 15-foot cage if you give it to him so if you can please do. I’m not the boss of you (although I should be) but if I was I would say the minimums should be a size I have called the “L” size.


Humidity
This is a hard one. The above-mentioned boas need humidity to reach 50-60%. First go to my general care page and read my section on humidity.

Now, if you have a large boa I would prefer you have a water bin in the cage large enough to let the boa soak. Rubbermaid storage bins do fairly well but when it comes to emptying and cleaning the weight of the water is problematic. But this large surface of water is what can create the humidity your boa needs. A couple of water bowls wouldn’t hurt to raise the humidity in the cage. I have an inexpensive steam vaporizer going 8 hours at night to bring my humidity to the level I need, you may want to look into this. There are also misting systems you can use. They even come with timers so you can set it to spray throughout the day. Of course a simple spray bottle from the plant department of Wal-Mart or Home Depot work fine as long as you do spray once or twice a day. 

Feeding your Boa Constrictor
Boas can be fed mice, rats, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, and rabbits. Rats are more of nutritional values but I have fed all at some time. Variety is always better. You would do best to offer rats and rabbits. Guinea pigs are high in fat, I use those to fatten up snakes that are under weight. But too many feedings with Guinea pigs can be bad since the hair is so think. Just like with rabbits. So alternate between appropriate sized rats and rabbits and you should not have a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment